Monday and Tuesday I went in for a few hours to work with Tim on a story about all of the frozen yogurt shops that were popping up around Wilmington. I was able to get some more practice using the camera. It was very interesting to see the way Tim worked outside of the studio, and the froyo lunches were definitely a bonus. To watch the package click here.
Wednesday I went in for the morning show and helped Allyson with in producing the show. After the show I researched stories to pitch for the morning meeting. At the meeting, Cliff was assigned to listen to a conference call about a study put out on the cleanliness of most major oceans and rivers. We found out from the call and the study that one of the beaches in our viewing area received a much lower score than normal, so we went out to the beach to get reaction from beach goers in that area. After getting the interviews and b-roll we needed. we headed back to the station. Cliff put together his package for the show and I used the video and scripts to put together a video for my reel. To watch Cliff's package click here.
Thursday I came in just in time for the morning meeting where I learned I would be going to a special luncheon hosted by the police department. The purpose of the lunch was to set women with troubled pasts on the right path in life. Before heading the lunch, I went with Ryan to the Cape Fear Museum to help with the Explore with George segment of the show. The story was about the educational activities the museum was holding for children over the summer. We sat in on part of one of the classes to get b-roll of the kids. We then got more b-roll of the toy exhibit before filming George's interview with one of the museum employees. It was an educational experience to see a full two minute interview out in the field. To watch the segment click here. After the interview at the museum we made our way to the inspirational luncheon. Before the program started I got a few interviews with those attending the lunch and the Wilmington police chief. We then got b-roll while the key speaker shared her moving story about turning her life around for the good of herself and her family. After the event ended, we were able to quickly get an interview with the speaker before heading back to the station to put the package together. To watch my favorite package thus far, click here. After the evening shows ended, I stayed at the station to work my first night side shift. I went out with Marissa to get reaction from young adults about the new health care changes. By helping Marissa with her package and VO, I was able to get more help on Edius and find a reporter that I felt like I could relate to the most career wise. It was a great experience. To watch Marissa's package click here.
Friday I again got to the station for the morning meeting where I found out I would be covering a story on the kickoff of a campaign against drunk driving for the summer. Before the ceremony started, I got interviews with some of the event organizers and police representatives. During the ceremony we got b-roll of the event, and I learned more about using the camera. After the speeches were over, we got another interview and more b-roll as a ride along inside a police car. It was really awesome to see what life is like for officers on duty. After our ride along, we were given a tour of the bat bus, which is a one stop shop for DUI's. That was another very informative tour. The driver of the bus was super friendly and told us about more upcoming events with the police while I did my stand up. I pitched the ideas he gave us when we got back to the station. One of the story ideas was about getting the DA's interns drunk to show them that a person could be intoxicated at a BAC lower than the legal limit and was used as the story for night side. Then it was time to get to work putting my package together. To watch the package click here. Asha was the reporter that went out on my story idea. To watch her package click here.
No comments:
Post a Comment