Tuesday I went into the station on my off day to ride with Ashley to get more video and another interview on the developer story. We were given a tour of one of the finished neighborhoods from the main saleswoman in the company. We got some b-roll video of the neighborhood and an off camera interview. It was interesting to hear the other side of the investigative story. After returning to the station, the saleswoman sent us documents to back up the information she provided for us.
Wednesday I got to the station at my usual five am hour. I helped Allyson as she produced the morning show. We had multiple interviews on the show which made it one of the more stressful days. After the show, I was able to get some practice anchoring with Tim, the morning anchor and meteorologist. My first try was a little shaky, but practice makes perfect. My second go around was much smoother. I am getting more comfortable behind the camera, but the desk still makes me a little nervous. At the morning meeting, I learned I was going to get another package on air! I went to Wrightsville Beach with Ryan and another intern to learn more about International Surfing Day. An organization at the beach was giving a free surfing lesson, and I was volunteered to catch some waves with the instructor. First I did my stand up in the ocean (IT WAS SO COLD!). Then I got in a few interviews before the class began. On the beach, I learned all about how to surf safely and got assigned to a surfboard. I practiced in the sand for a few minutes before hitting the water. I had a rough start, but the third time was the charm! I managed to briefly stand up which was my goal for the day! It was so cool and such a thrill! Once all the surfing fun was over, we snagged a quick lunch to go and raced back to the station. There we were quickly able to pull together my package for the beginning of the five o'clock show and create a VOSOT for the six. Everything came together amazingly! I loved getting another story on air. To watch my package click here.
Thursday was another early day. I helped out with the morning show by writing a few scripts and checking supers. Again I sat with Allyson and helped with the production of the show. After the show, I looked for stories to pitch for the day and helped find events to include in the what's happening package. I was again able to get practice mock anchoring the A block of the morning show with Tim. Its so exciting to be behind the desk. I can definitely tell I am getting better with every practice run. After mock anchoring, it was time for the morning meeting. We talked about the vision of the newsroom, and it was interesting to hear what everyone had to say about the future of the show and the station. After stories were assigned, I went with Cliff and one of the other interns to cover more surfing events at Wrightsville Beach. We interviewed the co-founder of the second largest surfing competition on the East Coast about the event being cancelled for the year and got video inside his surf shop. Next we went onto the beach to get video of a national children's surfing tour. We were also able to get an interview with one of the directors of the event. We finished off our beach outing by getting some stand ups in the sand. Before leaving Wrightsville, we got a quick interview with the mayor about the economic impact the cancelled surf competition would have on the community. After lunch, we went back to the station where the other intern and I put together a VO and VOSOT. We rendered out our stand ups and called it an early day. To watch the package on the surfing competition cancellation click here.
Friday I went in for the morning show where I again helped with writing and production. At the morning meeting, I volunteered to go with Asha on a story about the closing of a historic store closing. We got a lot of b-roll of the store and a few great interviews with the owner and costumers. After getting all the video we needed, we went outside to get a stand ups. To watch Asha's package click here. We got a quick lunch before Asha taught me more about filming and using the camera by getting video of a bridge that was going to be closed for the weekend. I was able to get some really cool driving shots before we pulled off to the side so I could get shots of cars driving over the bridge. The video turned out really good with Asha's helpful tips. I was so excited to have gotten all of the video myself and the VO turned out great. Before going home for the weekend, I went out with Cacky to get b-roll of an old bookstore for one of her stories on amazing people in the community. It was so interesting to see the way Cacky worked out in the field. She definitely attracted more attention from people who walked by us. The experience was extremely interesting. I was happy to have gotten the chance to watch her work before leaving to enjoy my weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment